Ohio State nav bar

Comparative Studies Minor

CS Minor Advising Sheet.pdf

Program Advisors: Emily Carpenter

The Field: 

The minor in Comparative Studies will teach students from a wide variety of majors to investigate how cultures shape the lives of individuals and groups. Interrogating cultural similarities and differences is at the heart of the Comparative Studies program. How, for example, does religion influence social change and stability in different cultures? How do different people express themselves and their concerns through literature and the arts? How do science and technology reflect and transform specific cultural values and beliefs? The questions raised and the skills taught in the Comparative Studies classroom empower students to engage productively with the world around them: to interpret generously, to think critically, and to communicate effectively.

The Minor:

Required core course (3 credit hours)

CMPSTD 2360: Introduction to Comparative Cultural Studies

Electives (9 credit hours)

One Comparative Studies course at the 2000 level or above and two Comparative Studies courses at the 3000 level or above.

Comparative Studies Minor program guidelines:

Required for graduation No

Credit hours required A minimum of 12 hours. 1000-level courses may not be counted toward the 12 credit hour minimum.

Transfer credit hours allowed No more than one half of the credit hours required on the minor.

Overlap with the GE A student is permitted to overlap up to 6 credit hours between the GE and the minor.

Overlap with the major and additional minors

• The minor must be in a different subject than the major.

• The minor must contain a minimum of 12 hours distinct from the major and/or additional minor(s).

Grades required

• Minimum C- for a course to be listed on the minor.

• Minimum 2.00 cumulative point-hour ratio required for the minor.

• Course work graded Pass/Non-Pass cannot count toward the minor.

• No more than 3 credit hours of course work graded Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory may count toward the minor.

Minor approval  The minor course work must be approved by the Department of Comparative Studies or the ASC advisor.

Filing the minor program form The minor program form must be filed at least by the time the graduation application is submitted to a college/school counselor.

Changing the minor Once the minor program is filed in the college office, any changes must be approved by the Department of Comparative Studies or the ASC advisor.


Contact Emily Carpenter at carpenter.438@osu.edu